For how many people: 4
Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time: 5 min
Story of the recipe or story of the chef:
Following a wonderful mother-daughter trip to Vietnam, we have tried to reproduce, the best we can, the delicious dishes that we had the pleasure of tasting. Vietnamese cuisine is of extreme subtlety, rich in flavors and scents. This easy and quick salad will tantalize your senses and those of your guests.
Michele & Leyla
List of ingredients:
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 20 shelled prawns
- 75g rice vermicelli
- 175g mangetout (or beans)
- 3 small white onions, peeled and sliced diagonally
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp peanuts (or cashews), non-salted and crushed
- Mint leaves and lime slices for decoration
For the sauce:
- 3 tbsp nuoc-mâm (fish sauce)
- 4 tbsp lime, juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 chili, finely sliced
- 4 tbsp coriander, chopped
- 3cm ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1. Wash and cut vegetables.
2. In a bowl, cover the rice vermicelli with hot water. Leave for 2 to 3 minutes until soft. Wash and drain.
3. Mix all of the ingredients for the sauce in a salad bowl until the sugar dissolves completely and you obtain a smooth mixture.
4. In a saucepan, bring water to the boil. Add the mangetout and bring to the boil. Cook quickly (approximately 50 seconds). Drain and rinse in cold water.
5. To your sauce, add the cucumbers, tomatoes, the small white onions and the prawns (except for a few that you can keep for decoration). Mix everything together.
6. Add the mangetout and the noodles. Mix again.
7. When serving, sprinkle the salad with crushed peanuts and decorate with a prawn, a slice of lime and a few mint leaves.
My top tips:
Nuoc-mâm is a fermented fish sauce. It is one of the main flavorings
of Vietnamese cuisine and can be found everywhere on supermarket shelves, along with other Asian products. You can omit or modify the quantities of ginger, chili and peanuts to taste. Consider serving this salad with chopsticks!