Category: Main Dishes
For how many people: 4 – 6
Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time: 1 hr 30
Story of the recipe or story of the chef:
Colorful and yummy, this is a simple Persian dessert to serve during any celebration. I especially love it when it’s made by my grandma.
List of ingredients:
- 1 cup of rice (preferably Basmati)
- 7 cups of water
- 400g sugar
- 4 tsp saffron, crushed
- 50g of butter
- 4 tbsp flaked almond
- ½ cup of rose water
- 1 tbsp cinnamon, ground
- 2 tsp pistachios, chopped to small pieces
1. In a medium-sized bowl, wash the rice to help remove the starch. Put the washed rice in a big non-stick pot with the water and bring to the boil.
2. Stir in the sugar, saffron, butter, rose water and half of the almonds. Cover and simmer on a very low heat for 45 minutes, stirring often, taking care the pudding doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
3. Cook until the mixture has thickened to a pudding.
4. To serve, pour the pudding into a shallow serving dish or spoon into individual serving bowls and garnish with pistachios, ground cinnamon and the rest of the almond flakes.
My top tips:
Chill in the refrigerator until it’s set, approximately 2 to 3 hours. Serve cold.