For how many people: 6
Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time: 40 min
Story of the recipe or story of the chef:
This is a soup that I prepare for all of my family in Montreal.
List of ingredients:
- 2 cups of barley
- 5 cups of water (add more water if needed)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 4 cups of yogurt
- ¼ cup of butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 pinch of red pepper (if desired)
1. In a large pot, bring water and barley to the boil.
2. Cook over a low heat until tender, then add salt.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the yogurt until smooth.
4. Add the yogurt to the cooked barley, mix well to obtain a soft, creamy consistency.
5. Melt the butter in a pan, add the chopped onions and stir-fry until browned.
6. Add to the prepared barley soup.
My top tips:
Decorate with mint and red pepper.
Serve this soup hot.